Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What Am I Supposed To Do With This?

Recently I've been pondering how I'm supposed to use my talents in music. I've been trained in it, I've got a college degree in it, it's what I'm good at, so now what? It's not that I'm not using it. I'm definitely using it. I play the piano and lead worship on Sunday mornings, and I teach piano lessons on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Occassionally, I'll manage to line up a gig where I play my own music and sell some cds.

On paper it may look decent, but I'm not satisfied. I'll admit that I feel lazy sometimes because I tend to be more excited about football or playing a round of golf than practicing music or lining up a gig. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I want to use this gift for the reason it was put in me. God is Sovereign, but does His sovereignty have something else in store for me? Is He Sovereign in the fact that I'm discontent, or am I discontent and not trusting in His sovereignty?

I suppose I just want to impact people through music and I just don't "see" it happening...

8 Comments:

Blogger Brian T. Murphy said...

man, sounds like you're in a tough spot. music is such a strange entity, and being apart of music that is satisfying is a really hard thing to find. I wish I had something profound or helpful to offer. All I can offer is that I know it sucks and I know music can be beautifully inspiring and frustrating at the same time.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Jason Harmon said...

I agree, God has gifted you with music... I think your response should be to play, and enjoy it. Don't try to make music that inspires people, people will be inspired if God wants them to be inspired. Just make good music. I think our response to Gods gifts has to be to use and enjoy them. I don't think that means you as a musician can only play Christian songs in church and teach lessons to church kids. I don't think God intends that any more than he would intend for a gifted runner to only run in Christian races or for charity events. (check out Chariots of Fire if you've never seen it)
Just keep playing and stop worring about if you're doing it in such a way that God will be happy with you. He's already happy with you and its not because you're a good musician (eventhough you are). Play, play well, and enjoy it.

3:04 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

hey buddy,
Your right, God is sovereign even over what your experiencing. I agree with Jason, keep playing and writing..

4:16 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Jason - I've been trying to find that movie since last summer and nobody carries it. Where can I find it?

6:30 AM  
Blogger Jason Harmon said...

mmm... netflix if you subscribe Im sure would have it. Amazon is sure to have it too. As for renting, I've never looked for it so I got nothing on that front.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Ginny said...

i think you can find it at any city library. the good thing about getting movies from the library is you can keep them for a week. rick, just keep playing music and enjoying it. don't put the pressure on yourself to make it a career. have fun!!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I really appreciate it.

8:47 AM  
Blogger jeff said...

Get Stacey to check it out from the Montevallo library, I know that they have it.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home