Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Stormy Weather...The Best Time of My Life

If you're like me, you can look back on college and pinpoint some great memories. One may be the first date with your present spouse. Another may be playing ultimate frisbee (for those of you who went to Montevallo). Another still could be Beach Project, a certain class, hanging out, etc.

My favorite memory is unique, but I fear it could offend some people. I can't think of a good way to preface this, so here it is: My favorite memory of college is when Hurrican Ivan hit...Ok, before you gasp, let me explain. Since I doubt anyone from Louisiana or Mississippi reads my blog, I'm going to go through with this. And if any of you have family or friends in that area, please don't take this the wrong way. I've noticed that when a big storm is going to blow through the area, people cling together and hang out. I LOVE THAT! It's one of the few times in life where you can get a bunch of people to focus their attention on one thing.

We received word Wednesday morning around 10:00 a.m. that the University would be closing at 1:00 p.m. and remain closed until Monday (assuming things would be cleared up by then). I remember packing a light over-night bag to stay at Adam Wright and Chris Megginson's place. I parked my car in the back lot of First Baptist Church Montevallo and walked down to the Island Street Apartments complex where they lived. I'm sure we invited numerous people to hang out, but I distinctly remember Jeff Reinblatt and Dennis Spears coming over and playing Halo. We jammed on the guitars and made ridiculous home videos.

The next day we had more people over playing Halo. Stephen Shivers and Allen Hampton were among them. Jason were you there? We all loaded up in our cars and somehow managed to make it to the caf where everyone was eating in the dark. Poor dorm folks. I think we were the lucky few who never lost power. Weird as this sounds, I was bummed when things returned to normal, cause that meant that everyone else was going back to their same ol' lives.

6 Comments:

Blogger G. Twilley said...

I didn't know one of your favorite memories was your first date with my present spouse. Strange...I didn't even know you two had been on a date!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Oh yeah...Laura and I were tight back in the day.

8:42 PM  
Blogger s. wells said...

ivan was a fun vacation, but since i'm technically living in louisiana now i should hate hurricanes. so, bad hurricanes! bad!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Meggs said...

Those were good times. There's nothing like a Hurricane Party on your birthday. I need to dig out that tape of us getting blown over outside by the wind...too bad the tree I picked to fall never fell.

9:06 AM  
Blogger jeff said...

I was speaking with someone from housing the other day about Ivan.. I remember the halo and guitar jams..

11:53 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

Chris,

I found that hurricane video. We should watch it again sometime.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home