Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Night of Encouragement

"If I had decided to give up music forever, tonight would've changed my mind."

That's what I told my girlfriend, Stacy, after playing at First Baptist Church Columbiana this past Sunday night. It was an incredible time of worship. This was the first time on the tour that I've been able to play from a real, baby grand piano at center stage. There were approximately 100 people there. Although the above statement about giving up music wasn't true, I have been in a sort of "lull" musically for the past month. I didn't play but one gig in February, and the other one I was supposed to play with a buddy of mine ended up being a no-show. I doubt it was anything personal. The church had a big conference that day, and there was the threat of sleet that night, but I think it was also poorly advertised.

Sometimes it's easy to think that if you have a small crowd, then the particular church you're playing at really doesn't care about your music. While that may or may not be true, any musician can testify that it's always encouraging when people show up to listen to your music. What made Sunday night special was this: I have a feeling that most of the people that came that night weren't there to specifically hear me; they were there because they have a dedication to the Lord and to fellowship. A dedication to their church and to worshipping together. I just happened to be the worship leader for the night. Some of them were my friends from Montevallo, and two, specifically, were friends that I used to be in a band with. The church was very supportive, but I don't credit that to myself, because I don't believe it was me that impacted them. I believe that God's Spirit touched a lot of people, and led them to give SO THAT his ministry through me might continue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home