Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Need Fast Cash? Get Pink Posterboard

I have discovered a new way to earn fast cash...

This past Tuesday Stacy and I were supposed to go to the Counting Crows/Goo Goo Dolls concert, but upon her getting sick we decided to stay in. It was her birthday and I didn't want to leave her at home sick, but she insisted I try and go sell the tickets. So I got in my car and headed for the Verizon Wireless Music Center. I had two tickets in hand, each which cost me $29.50/pc. (+ all the sales taxes and stuff). I made a quick stop by Winn-Dixie to see if I could find some posterboard and a sharpie to help advertise my "business". I found a great sharpie and a piece of bright hot pink posterboard, and I also threw in some gum.

Upon arriving at the front gate of the music center, I wrote down my price for the tickets on the posterboard and stood between the Will Call and the Ticket Sales lines. There were a few other people trying to sell tickets as well. I got a lot of blank, drawn out stares, and a couple of people even pointed and laughed. They must've thought I was crazy. Think again! After about 10 minutes of nothing, the concert was beginning and the other ticket sellers were getting anxious--so anxious that they gave up on trying to sell their tickets and starting handing them to me to sell. Seeing that the sun was going down and the gates were closing, I came down on my prices just a bit. Wouldn't you know that I showed up with 2 tickets to sell, ended up with 8, and made $100 in profit.

Oh, and the other ticket sellers? They came away with nothing! Everyone was coming up to me, and I wasn't even yelling, "Hey! Anybody need tickets?" like the rest of them. I just stood there silently with my pink posterboard and watched as one after the other handed me their money for tickets I didn't even buy. I think I should start a new business...buying tickets for a concert that I don't want to go to, get a piece of pink posterboard, show up, and sell my tickets and everyone elses. After all, they obviously didn't know to get the pink posterboard.

4 Comments:

Blogger lynnemily said...

I think the "slashing of the prices" helped. It was good to see you. The goos were good the CC was not so much.

1:27 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

that's awesome

4:18 PM  
Blogger G. Twilley said...

You're like the Wal-Mart of ticket sales - you found a way to cut the prices of your providers and drove out all the competition! That's ridiculous and cool all at the same time, Rick.

10:41 AM  
Blogger G. Twilley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home